Hello Tumblr I have a question for you all.
How does one’s Celebrity status affect how you view them? Is there anything morally wrong or right about these effects or the resulting treatment?
Re-blog with your answer.
Bellow you will find a personal explanation for why I am asking this question but you don’t have to read that part. down below that you will find my answer conclusions on the question form my personal views. I would like others to respond as I am honestly curious how different people treat the subject. If you bother to answer, please be brutally honest with yourself on the subject, you won’t be doing your self or any one else any favor by trying to deceive your self.
Click the read more if you want my views and answer.
Personal Explanation (optional reading):
So, I recently had the thought that I am extremely lucky to have Mic The Microphone following me on tumblr. Spurred by the knowledge that Mic has >3k followers and follows very few people comparatively in return, I concluded that I’m lucky to be one of those he follows for what I view as “no good reason”. but when this crossed my mind it surprised me. the suggestion behind the thought is that Mic is special and that he would only follow people who are also special, but this thought process runs contrary to my normal word view. These thoughts combined with some of the other recent posts on Mic’s Tumblr have forced me to do a bit of thinking.
some ones relative fame in general does not effect how I view them, I’m not susceptible to “fangasems” as my friend Branden often calls them. If any thing I simply judge their actions more strictly and hold them to a slightly higher standard, because the world is watching them and weather they realize it or not they set an example for a lot of people. but in terms of how I treat them they still start of like everyone else, a measure of respect and on on equal footing with anyone else I might meet.
In any case I set off analyzing where this thought process had come from because I don’t put people on pedestals, or I thoughts I didn’t. I actively try to avoid looking up to people in that way. It felt strange to think of Mic as some one I didn’t really have a right to interact with.
As much as I hate to admit it I’ve been lying to myself, as much as I try to ignore it the bias I have to viewing people labeled celebrities as special has been ingrained by the media and countless other sources and as a result I find it hard to approach them and because I too want to be labeled as special by association I feel the urge to seek their attention
I’m fairly confident that most people are effected in a similar way by someone’s celebrity status, so here is a few things to do.
- Ask yourself if having an interaction with this person will be worth the extreme amount of effort and perseverance it will take compared to just continuing your life as normal, will saying hello or shaking hands with the guy who wrote that music or drew that art really improve you life so much that you will throw away what you could of done with your time other wise?
If your answer to the last question was “Yes “then you can continue down this list.
- actively remind yourself that celebrity or not there are still people, they still makes good and bad decisions in the same ratio as the average human being, they have the same emotions ect. your are self deprecation if you put yourself below them. At the same time you have to remember that they are the center of attention.
- If you want to meet them remember that so does everyone else. you can certainly try to interact with them if that what you want to do, there is nothing wrong with that, far as I’m concerned it’s a natural reaction. but as you do that remember that your competing for their attention with a lot of other people so you need to be respectful of their personal space lest you start wearing on them.
- and most importantly, treat them normally and act like their are a human being not a deity, your there for an interaction not a superficial conversation about how awesome they are.
- talkacanthi reblogged this from ryexander and added:
- ryexander posted this